Sunday, September 25, 2011

Quiona

I've decided today to make quinoa flour,   I love the grain so much I thought I'd be able to add more of it into my diet if I ground some up into a flour.  This morning I washed the grains and dried them as much as possible then put them in the oven on the lowest heat so they dried quicker.  Next after they cooled down I put them in the food processor and ran it until they reached a flour consistency.  You need to store it in an air tight container and put in the fridge.  It has a high fat content so it wont last too long. 

I think I'll make the family quinoa pancakes for breakfast!!! I'm so excited to try them!  

I had a quick look online and couldn't find a recipe that had the ingredients I had on hand so I just took some tips from each recipe and made my own.


Ingredients

1/2 cup quinoa flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1tsp baking powder
1tsp salt
1tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs or 4 egg whites
1/2 cup of soy milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
 Cooking spray 

In one bowl combine the dry ingredients and in the other mix the vanilla extract, eggs, soy milk and melted butter
Add the wet ingredients to the dry. 
Heat a skillet on a medium heat and spray with cooking oil. cook just like you would normal pancakes



These were so good and delicious the whole family ate them all so fast I forgot to take a photo!!!!
I'm going to try adding pumpkin to them next time.  I also want to try making them with Almond milk or butter milk.  I only had soy milk on hand, but they still tasted really good!  I'm so glad I made my own quinoa flour, toasting it first in the oven gave them a wonderful nutty flavour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment